Topsail Presbyterian Church Committee Responsibilities Overview
- Assist the pastor in planning the order and content of worship services, and making recommendations about regular, Communion, and special seasonal services.
- In consultation with the pastor, oversee preparations for baptisms and for communion, including arranging and training Elders on how to secure and ready the elements, how to serve the elements, and how to store the elements after the service.
- At the beginning of the year review usher duties, assign elders to monthly duty, and provide for their training.
- Provide for the preparation of the Sanctuary for worship, including coordinating with the Flower Chair to ensure that appropriate flowers and decorations are in place and that necessary supplies are available for each liturgical season.
- Assign persons to be present in the Narthex each Sunday to greet persons and answer inquiries about the church.
- In consultation with the pastor, arrange for communion to be served to shut-ins and those in nursing homes and hospitals, securing Elders to assist in this service.
- In consultation with the pastor, when the pastor is absent, secure guest ministers, and make arrangements that the guest minister is properly welcomed and promptly paid after the service.
- In coordination with the Director of Music, secure substitute and special musicians when necessary.
- Develop guidelines for the conduct of weddings and funerals at the church. See that the Nursery is staffed during worship services and at other special occasions, that a roll of those present is kept, and that the nursery is kept clean and well-equipped.
- See that meaningful worship experiences are provided for children and youth.
- Develop Elder of the month responsibilities and provide appropriate training when needed.
- Prepare annually a budget for the support of the committee’s programs to be submitted to the Stewardship Committee.